Find the Best Dentist in New York, NY
If you are looking for the best dentist in New York to treat you and your family, we invite you to schedule an exam with our dental office by calling (917) 284-9680. At New York DMD, we offer high-quality patient care and would be delighted to assist you.
We invite you to visit our dental office, discuss your oral health concerns and learn how we can provide solutions for all of your family's dental needs.
Definition of Dental Terminology
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite.
- Tooth decay is when the enamel of the tooth begins to decay and cause erosion from plaque and tartar on the teeth.
- Dental Caries
- Dental caries are also known as cavities and result from a lack of proper oral hygiene leaving plaque that forms tiny holes in the teeth.
- Dental Checkup
- A dental checkup is an appointment that involves cleaning the teeth, identifying any signs of infection and removing said signs of infection at least once every six months in the office.
- Dental Filling
- A dental filling involves restoring the structure of the tooth by using metal, alloy, porcelain or plastic to fill the tooth.
- Dental Prophylaxis
- A dental prophylaxis is a professional and detailed cleaning that involves the removal of plaque, calculus and stains from the teeth.
- Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants contain a resinous material that we apply to the chewing surfaces of the posterior teeth to prevent dental caries.
- A dentist, also known as a dental surgeon, is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity.
- Gingivitis is the inflammation of gum tissue that results from plaque, other infections in the mouth and poor oral hygiene.
- Preventive Dentistry
- Preventive dentistry is the dentistry that focuses on maintaining oral health in order to prevent the spread of plaque, the formation of tartar and infections in the mouth.
- Tartar forms when plaque builds up on the surface of the teeth and calcifies into a hard surface that is much more difficult to remove and will require professional treatment.
- Tooth Enamel
- Tooth enamel is the protective visible outer surface of a tooth that contains the dentin and dental pulp.
Back to top of Find the Best Dentist in New York
If you are considering getting dentures or replacing a missing tooth, a mini dental implant may be for you. This small dental implant has the same function as a traditional dental implant. You might be wondering if the two have that many differences. Read on to learn more about what makes these two types of…
If you have visited a mini dental implants professional, you may have been recommended mini implants. You may not know much about this type of implant, but it has its advantages. Knowing more about mini dental implants can help you make an informed decision. A mini dental implants professional can help you decide if this…
If you are considering getting a mini dental implant, then you will want to know what the procedure is like. This can help you make a decision about whether or not this type of implant might be right for you. The good news is that it is not a very invasive procedure. Keep reading to…
For the millions of people who wear dentures, a mini dental implant is a remarkable advancement. Not only does this make it easier for a person to chew, but implant-supported dentures also feel more comfortable. Even more exciting, denture wearers can toss out messy adhesives. Why? The reason is that the implant keeps dentures firmly…