Find the Best Dentist in New York, NY
If you are looking for the best dentist in New York to treat you and your family, we invite you to schedule an exam with our dental office by calling (917) 284-9680. At New York DMD, we offer high-quality patient care and would be delighted to assist you.
We invite you to visit our dental office, discuss your oral health concerns and learn how we can provide solutions for all of your family's dental needs.
Definition of Dental Terminology
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite.
- Tooth decay is when the enamel of the tooth begins to decay and cause erosion from plaque and tartar on the teeth.
- Dental Caries
- Dental caries are also known as cavities and result from a lack of proper oral hygiene leaving plaque that forms tiny holes in the teeth.
- Dental Checkup
- A dental checkup is an appointment that involves cleaning the teeth, identifying any signs of infection and removing said signs of infection at least once every six months in the office.
- Dental Filling
- A dental filling involves restoring the structure of the tooth by using metal, alloy, porcelain or plastic to fill the tooth.
- Dental Prophylaxis
- A dental prophylaxis is a professional and detailed cleaning that involves the removal of plaque, calculus and stains from the teeth.
- Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants contain a resinous material that we apply to the chewing surfaces of the posterior teeth to prevent dental caries.
- A dentist, also known as a dental surgeon, is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity.
- Gingivitis is the inflammation of gum tissue that results from plaque, other infections in the mouth and poor oral hygiene.
- Preventive Dentistry
- Preventive dentistry is the dentistry that focuses on maintaining oral health in order to prevent the spread of plaque, the formation of tartar and infections in the mouth.
- Tartar forms when plaque builds up on the surface of the teeth and calcifies into a hard surface that is much more difficult to remove and will require professional treatment.
- Tooth Enamel
- Tooth enamel is the protective visible outer surface of a tooth that contains the dentin and dental pulp.
Back to top of Find the Best Dentist in New York
To start with, a mini dental implant is not the same as a traditional implant. While the concept is somewhat alike, they each have a different purpose. If you have one or more missing teeth or you wear dentures, you could be a good candidate for a mini dental implant. First, talk to your dentist…
Today, people have options, including a mini dental implant and traditional implants. While the two sound alike, they are actually quite different and serve different purposes. If you have missing teeth but do not want to wear dentures, find out if you make a good candidate. Based on the recommendation, you can move forward to…
If you are currently considering getting a mini dental implant, there are a few things you should know before heading into a consultation. Mini implants are a lot like conventional implants. The main differences are mini implants being about half the size of traditional implants, and they do not need an abutment to attach an…
Mini dental implants are a great option for patients who may need to replace missing teeth, but who are not candidates for conventional dental restorations. Some patients do not want the more invasive surgery required for regular dental implants, while others may lack the bone mass required in their jaw to hold regular implants.Dentists can…