Find the Best Dentist in New York, NY
If you are looking for the best dentist in New York to treat you and your family, we invite you to schedule an exam with our dental office by calling (917) 284-9680. At New York DMD, we offer high-quality patient care and would be delighted to assist you.
We invite you to visit our dental office, discuss your oral health concerns and learn how we can provide solutions for all of your family's dental needs.
Definition of Dental Terminology
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite.
- Tooth decay is when the enamel of the tooth begins to decay and cause erosion from plaque and tartar on the teeth.
- Dental Caries
- Dental caries are also known as cavities and result from a lack of proper oral hygiene leaving plaque that forms tiny holes in the teeth.
- Dental Checkup
- A dental checkup is an appointment that involves cleaning the teeth, identifying any signs of infection and removing said signs of infection at least once every six months in the office.
- Dental Filling
- A dental filling involves restoring the structure of the tooth by using metal, alloy, porcelain or plastic to fill the tooth.
- Dental Prophylaxis
- A dental prophylaxis is a professional and detailed cleaning that involves the removal of plaque, calculus and stains from the teeth.
- Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants contain a resinous material that we apply to the chewing surfaces of the posterior teeth to prevent dental caries.
- A dentist, also known as a dental surgeon, is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity.
- Gingivitis is the inflammation of gum tissue that results from plaque, other infections in the mouth and poor oral hygiene.
- Preventive Dentistry
- Preventive dentistry is the dentistry that focuses on maintaining oral health in order to prevent the spread of plaque, the formation of tartar and infections in the mouth.
- Tartar forms when plaque builds up on the surface of the teeth and calcifies into a hard surface that is much more difficult to remove and will require professional treatment.
- Tooth Enamel
- Tooth enamel is the protective visible outer surface of a tooth that contains the dentin and dental pulp.
Back to top of Find the Best Dentist in New York
Choosing an implant dentist is something many people do when they are in need of tooth replacement services. Since general dentists who place dental implants are also known as implant dentists, this type of dental professional is one that is commonly chosen. Ready to learn more?Want to find an implant dentist so you can decide…
Patients can have a missing tooth for a number of reasons. Accidents, infection or decay can cause a tooth to become non-vital and may require it to be extracted. The way the tooth was lost does not matter as much as the need to replace it. Missing teeth can cause patients to feel self-conscious or…
Root canal infections occur when bacteria reach the central canals of your teeth due to exposure from taking a blow to the mouth or tooth decay. A root canal is a procedure performed for the purpose of repairing or salvaging a seriously decayed tooth or a tooth that has been severely infected. During a root…
dental veneers are used for cosmetic and restorative fixes, as they serve many purposes, ranging from lengthening a short tooth to covering up a crack. These thin coverings are color-matched to the patient's teeth, which keeps them natural-looking. However, while natural-looking and versatile, many people are nonetheless curious as to whether or not dental veneers…